Beantwoord

multi accesspoints with sonos

• 20 juni 2017
  • 7 reacties
  • 1531 Bekeken

in a multiple access point situation (ie on each floor an access point) and with on each floor an sonos product the following happens. play one downstairs plays and is controllable, the other play one's on the first and second floor do not appear in the Sonos app. Same thing, being on the first floor, the play one there is visible on the app but the one downstairs isn't any more.
icon

Beste antwoord door Tim S 17 januari 2020, 13:15

Me referring to not supporting access points was an old comment, we nowadays do support these devices.

There are a few requirements though.

Important is that the access points are wired by ethernet to main dhcp server, not wireless connected or by EoP (ethernet over power).

patricw is referring to his Devolo adapters, which most likely work through EoP, so we do not support these devices.

If this does work, who are we to tell you to remove these devices, but if it does cause issues, we will be the first to ask to change that current setup.

Next important requirement is that all wireless access points need to be on the same wireless channel, this so when Sonos changes from the 1 AP to the next AP, he can continue to speak on the same level.

If Sonos would swap to an other access point on an other wireless channel, it would mean a complete disconnect and reconnect, which would cause music to stop playing.

Also grouping speakers when connected to different AP’s on a different wireless channel will cause issues, especially when its a stereopair, this cause the components do keep a direct connection, in which they are unable to if they would be working on a different wireless channel.

This all is also described in our dutch community topic.

There might be more settings that need adjustment, but in general these 2 i am now referring to are the most important ones.

Bekijk origineel

7 Reacties

Reputatie 2
Badge +1
All AP's must have the same name (SSID) as the WIFI network of the Sonos devices.
thanks for your reaction, we did so, all AP's have the same SSID and still...the problem persisted.
could it be something with the channel allocation of the AP's I wondered.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Sonos does not support wireless accesspoints.

There are 2 ways of setting sonos up.

On the wifi of the router, but they all need to be in contact with the same device, wireless access points are other devices, and this will cause issues, you need to give them a different SSID, so Sonos can not connect to them, so Sonos is forced to communicate with the 1 device that broadcasts the SSID Sonos had been taught.
This setup is for small Sonos households, not alot of speakers, small appartement where the 1 router provides the whole house with its wifi.

The other way to set Sonos up, is to hardwire 1 component, a bridge/boost or speaker, this first hardwired device will create its own Sonos wifi, and the rest of the speakers try to communicate with the wired device instead of the wifi of the router.
If a device is to far away from the wired device, they will log in on a wireless speaker in between.
So Sonos has its own wireless extender functions build into the system, by simply hardwiring a component.
This setup is how Sonos was originaly put on the market, and making Sonos login on the wifi of the router is an implementation of the last years.

So small house / not alot of speakers means wifi of the router can work.
Big house / alot of Sonos, we advise to work on Sonos wifi, hardwiring 1 component on the network by ethernet.
From each component you can calculate an 8 a 14 meters distance, if you put a speaker 20 meters away from any device it might not appear on the controller.

It could be a situation, where you hardwire a speaker per floor in the office.
1st Floor -> 1 wired -> 5 speakers wireless.
2nd Floor -> 1 wired -> 5 speakers wireless.

For more information i wish you to look on the Dutch or English FAQ page.

If responding please let us know if we can talk in dutch, since we are on the Dutch community section anyway.
Reputatie 2
Badge +1
Sonos does not support AP's, but that doesn't mean it will not work. I have 4 AP's (Devolo) and that works fine for me.
Sonos does not support wireless accesspoints.

There are 2 ways of setting sonos up.

On the wifi of the router, but they all need to be in contact with the same device, wireless access points are other devices, and this will cause issues, you need to give them a different SSID, so Sonos can not connect to them, so Sonos is forced to communicate with the 1 device that broadcasts the SSID Sonos had been taught.
This setup is for small Sonos households, not alot of speakers, small appartement where the 1 router provides the whole house with its wifi.

The other way to set Sonos up, is to hardwire 1 component, a bridge/boost or speaker, this first hardwired device will create its own Sonos wifi, and the rest of the speakers try to communicate with the wired device instead of the wifi of the router.
If a device is to far away from the wired device, they will log in on a wireless speaker in between.
So Sonos has its own wireless extender functions build into the system, by simply hardwiring a component.
This setup is how Sonos was originaly put on the market, and making Sonos login on the wifi of the router is an implementation of the last years.

So small house / not alot of speakers means wifi of the router can work.
Big house / alot of Sonos, we advise to work on Sonos wifi, hardwiring 1 component on the network by ethernet.
From each component you can calculate an 8 a 14 meters distance, if you put a speaker 20 meters away from any device it might not appear on the controller.

It could be a situation, where you hardwire a speaker per floor in the office.
1st Floor -> 1 wired -> 5 speakers wireless.
2nd Floor -> 1 wired -> 5 speakers wireless.

For more information i wish you to look on the Dutch or English FAQ page.

If responding please let us know if we can talk in dutch, since we are on the Dutch community section anyway.
ja natuurlijk spreek ik nederlands maar op de comm. weet ik niet wie wat leest.
de info is in ieder geval zeer duidelijk, waarvoor dank.

I have multiple access points in my in home setup. same SSID, central DHCP server (same subnet).

I also had issues with connecting to sonos devices that were connected on other AP than my iphone was connected to.  

After enabling the “frame burst mode” on my access points all is working fine now.

Note : not all AP’s might have the possibility to enable/disable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame-bursting

Reputatie 7
Badge +2

Me referring to not supporting access points was an old comment, we nowadays do support these devices.

There are a few requirements though.

Important is that the access points are wired by ethernet to main dhcp server, not wireless connected or by EoP (ethernet over power).

patricw is referring to his Devolo adapters, which most likely work through EoP, so we do not support these devices.

If this does work, who are we to tell you to remove these devices, but if it does cause issues, we will be the first to ask to change that current setup.

Next important requirement is that all wireless access points need to be on the same wireless channel, this so when Sonos changes from the 1 AP to the next AP, he can continue to speak on the same level.

If Sonos would swap to an other access point on an other wireless channel, it would mean a complete disconnect and reconnect, which would cause music to stop playing.

Also grouping speakers when connected to different AP’s on a different wireless channel will cause issues, especially when its a stereopair, this cause the components do keep a direct connection, in which they are unable to if they would be working on a different wireless channel.

This all is also described in our dutch community topic.

There might be more settings that need adjustment, but in general these 2 i am now referring to are the most important ones.

Reageer