Beantwoord

How to connect the PlayStation 5 (PS5) to a Beam and projector

• 28 October 2020
  • 5 reacties
  • 3111 Bekeken

Hi,

I have a home theatre set-up with the PS4 as my streaming device, a projector for viewing, and the Beam at the centre of a surround set-up (Beam, Sonos 1 x2, Sub).

I currently have a PS4 connected to my Beam via the PS4’s optical out, and to a projector (‘beamer’) via the PS4’s HDMI out.

It has been announced that the PlayStation 5 will have no optical out connection. How should I connect it to the Beam please?

Thanks!

(Sorry, I don’t speak much Dutch - I live in the Netherlands, and the site automatically sent me to the Dutch-language support community page.)

icon

Beste antwoord door Eddie the Eagle 28 October 2020, 16:04

Bekijk origineel

Reageren op dit topic is niet mogelijk.

5 Reacties

Reputatie 6
Badge +3

Hi, a good quality HDMI switch with audio extractor should do the job like this link

PS5 HDMI to one of three HDMI inputs of the switch; optical output to beam and HDMI output to projector.

That looks like a really good option, thank you!

Let’s leave this in case anyone has other suggestions, but I think that’s likely to be the best answer :) 

(Also, I love the username - Eddie was a legend!)

Reputatie 6
Badge +3

(Eddie was a legend!)

Oh yes he was and my first name is actually Eddie. Besides that I sense a lot of things in common like first do and then think haha.

Do you have any experience with this solution by now? I’m in the exact same situation, and have read about splitters being somewhat problematic with regard to lag/delays or dropping audio channels. 

Do you get 5.1 channels and HDR image from the suggested splitter?

What do I need to check if I want to buy a splitter that allows for both?

Do you have any experience with this solution by now? I’m in the exact same situation, and have read about splitters being somewhat problematic with regard to lag/delays or dropping audio channels. 

Do you get 5.1 channels and HDR image from the suggested splitter?

What do I need to check if I want to buy a splitter that allows for both?

Hi, yes! 

After comparing a few options, I went for the suggested model and have been using it for my PS4 - hopefully soon a PS5 when they come back into stock!

As mentioned before, I route things to a beamer (projector) and they are apparently notorious for controller lag, so I was curious whether the splitter might make this noticeable for me… It didn’t! Personally I’ve never noticed it - it certainly doesn’t interfere with my games. I’m not a pro or competitive player, and it’s been fine for my needs.

I do get 5.1 through it, but my beamer only has a simulation of HDR (I’m not even sure if beamers can do HDR - that might be a TV-screen-only thing). I’ve not tried fiddling with that, but I’m not 100% sure I’d be able to notice the difference anyway.

The splitter occasionally doesn’t notice when I swap inputs, but in those times I just used the remote control and it swaps. Most of the time it automatically switches to new inputs.

My splitter doesn’t get hot at all - I’ve seen other people comment on that, but maybe they had a defective unit? Mine remains at room temp.

When I pause a movie for five or ten minutes, it will take a second or two after unpausing for the audio to kick in again. I think this is what you meant by the audio dropping. It’s not ideal, but a second or two after a ten minute break doesn’t cause a problem either.

Personally I’m very happy with the solution - it does exactly what I needed. Thanks again to Eddie for the recommendation!