Vraag

SONOS conflicting with new ASUS RT AC5300 router

• 16 augustus 2016
  • 25 reacties
  • 4029 Bekeken

Setup:
SONOS 5.1 = PLAYBAR + SUB + 2 REAR SPEAKERS - these are wired through gigabit switch connected to the wifi router
two separate REAR SPEAKERS in different rooms - these are wireless through wifi router

I have replaced my RT-AC66U router yesterday with my new ASUS RT AC5300 router. After installing without plugging the sonos everything was working fine.
As soon as a plugged the SONOS setup nothing was working anymore. Tried it several times in different order and different operating modes but it does not work...
can someone please help me out?

25 Reacties

nothing was working anymore.
Can you define "nothing"? Did the whole network collapse, or were you simply unable to access the Sonos players?

Tried it several times in different order and different operating modes but it does not work...

Can you expand on what "different operating modes" you tried?

How are the Sonos controllers connecting to the network?
the whole network collapse
5.1 is wired and 2 players one are wireless
the whole network collapse
That sounds like an STP problem. Try unwiring the SUB and surround speakers, leaving the PLAYBAR wired. If everything's okay then the issue is with whatever switch/router the Sonos units were wired into.

In fact https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42 says:
Asus RT Series Wiring more than one Sonos component to the router causes a broadcast storm. Update the router to the latest firmware.
Thank you for replying on my issue
My router and SONOS are running the latest firmware but still I am having that problem

in the meantime I jump back to my old router and then everything is running well.
For me it is sure that there is an issue on the collaboration between SONOS and the ASUS RT AC5300 router...
Did you try leaving only the PLAYBAR wired as I suggested? Where were all the Sonos units wired in anyway?
I had the same problem - I have an ASUS AC-5300 and it would take forever to connect or not connect at all - (Android, Mac, iOS - same result)

This was my fix -
Log into the router and navigate to Wireless > Professional and disable the Airtime Fairness feature.

Hope it helps
@jayjardim Thanks so much for the solution. I battled with this for waaaay to long and that got everything working right away!
Awesome, Glad I could help!
Many thanks to the op for asking the question and to jayjardim for the answer. I was almost at my wits end trying to understand what was wrong with the Sonos/AC5300 combination. I was dreading some insurmountable compatibility issue but instead just a simple switch setting ( i will say among many others ) sorted the problem. Both myself and my wits thank you.
I had the same problem - I have an ASUS AC-5300 and it would take forever to connect or not connect at all - (Android, Mac, iOS - same result)

This was my fix -
Log into the router and navigate to Wireless > Professional and disable the Airtime Fairness feature.

Hope it helps

Thank you this fixed my issue too!
I have the same ASUS Router and got the same issues. I tried there Latest Firmware 4180 release in December 21, 2016. My SONOS worked like 30 minutes, and all my iPad, Phone won't able to connect to it until I reboot my Router. I found only firmware 3341 Dated August 2016 works.

This was my fix -

Hope it helps

Thank you this fixed my issue too!

Oh, I just saw your post. Let me try that on mine too... Thanks!
I just come home...after one day... My SONOS die again.. It is the December Firmware... Forget it... I am going back to the old firmware.... Anyone have issues with the December firmware they just released?
I just come home...after one day... My SONOS die again.. It is the December Firmware... Forget it... I am going back to the old firmware.... Anyone have issues with the December firmware they just released?

Just updated my Asus and all seems to be ok with the Sonos playbar. It did lose sound several times during the update but seemed to reconnect on its own. I have read elsewhere where people have had issues with different devices after a firmware update and all of them (that I have read about) were cured by powering down the router, waiting two minutes and restarting, note that is a power down not a reboot. Good luck.
Yes, rebooting your router will always work. But how long will your SONOS stay connected after the reboot is the question. My goes anywhere from hours to one day. I got a pair of SONOS 5, I just roll back my firmware to September.
Yes, rebooting your router will always work. But how long will your SONOS stay connected after the reboot is the question. My goes anywhere from hours to one day. I got a pair of SONOS 5, I just roll back my firmware to September. Will give it a week and let you know.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
I just roll back my firmware to September.
How did you do that?
Just reflash your old firmware... In the Asus website, you can download older firmware. For me, I just keep it on my PC. You never know, sometime new firmware cost more problems then old.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
Just reflash your old firmware
I see. I was under the impression you were talking about the Sonos software and as it can't be rolled back... hence my question.
This is 2 days, after flash my Asus Router back to version 3941 dated Sept 8, 2016 with Airtime Fairness Feature Disable I have no issue. I pretty sure the December firmware aren't no good with SONOS.
This is 2 days, after flash my Asus Router back to version 3941 dated Sept 8, 2016 with Airtime Fairness Feature Disable I have no issue. I pretty sure the December firmware aren't no good with SONOS. I am still (4 days only) running the December firmware and have not experienced any issues at all. Will give it a few more days to confirm.
This is 2 days, after flash my Asus Router back to version 3941 dated Sept 8, 2016 with Airtime Fairness Feature Disable I have no issue. I pretty sure the December firmware aren't no good with SONOS. I am still (4 days only) running the December firmware and have not experienced any issues at all. Will give it a few more days to confirm.
I can confirm that the December "Asus" firmware is still running and I have not had any issues at all with the Sonos.
Reputatie 2
Thank you jayjardim - you fixed it for me! Glad I found the Dutch Sonos fora!
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Good to see people have been able to help each other.

Only thing i can confirm is to first check for firmware updates on Asus router, no matter which model Asus you got.
Also, disable Airtime Fairness and be sure STP is enabled.

Reageer